week 3: Campobello's Cartucho

 I was not sure what to expect from this book based on what I would presume a novel of this type to be like that is assembled from various recollections from the time of Campobello's young life. The many short stories felt as though I was reading a young girl's diary, maybe that was part of the intentions behind writing from the perspective of a young girl. 

I believe the effects of adopting the point of view of a young girl helped this collection of stories to be perceived as just that. If the stories were from an adult's perspective, I would expect it to be more concerned with the exact dynamics or state of events, and ensuring the facts are "accurate" as well as appropriately comprehensive. The details that complete the readers ability to imagine the experiences are supported by the strong imagery and intricate observations. This began right away during the first few stories, and many of the men seemed to have their own song to sing that represented their feelings or current predicament, something I would usually think a younger person may have heightened awareness of (in contrast to an adult). The many songs that were sung, the varied appearances being described, and how the brutality looked and felt to experience, are all aspects that I feel were effectively portrayed precisely because they were intended to be told from the point of view of a young girl.

Furthermore, the reality of the young girl is that this is what she knows, this is what her life is. Throughout the novel, I get a sense that she grows accustomed to the violence and brutality. I do not regard her neutrality for all the death to mean she supported it, however many of the accounts came across as very matter of fact. This especially seemed to be the case when there was a dead body that she could see from her window, as if the corpse became a form of 'company' for her to the point that she wished another body to to be disposed of where she could see. 

By the end of the novel, I enjoyed that the light returned to her Mama's eyes. For having experienced and witnessed such persistent brutality, I would not be certain that any light would be able to return.   

I cannot imagine having grown up in the environment that Campobello did, even though some of the stories were not involving her directly or were not her own experience, being surrounded by that while growing up is unfathomable. My grandma had a difficult upbringing before coming to Canada, and her journey involved staying in many refugee camps along the way. She witnessed many atrocities that she wrote down so there is a written record, however she only did so because she wished to never speak of her experiences again, which is partly why I found this novel a thought provoking read, and that Campobello was able to return to these experiences mentally (especially significant considering she felt inclined to document and share this part of her past). This brings me to my question, in noticing the stages she passes through in getting comfortable with death and brutality -

I wonder if there are other instances where you have become accustomed to something as you have gotten older that you would not have imagined gaining familiarity with or proximity to when you were younger?

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing part of your grandmother's life history with us, I know it can be a difficult topic. That leads me to wonder and ask you about the importance of writing to record a traumatic experience, and the specific tools of literature to do so. This memory characteristic is present so far in the three works that we have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I believe the effects of adopting the point of view of a young girl helped this collection of stories to be perceived as just that."
    This is such a resonating quote for me. It's so simple, yet straight to the point. As an overthinker, I had some difficulties trying to find some sort of hidden message/ meaning while reading the book. I was looking for an underlying narrative decision, some sort of ideology, politics, etc. However, by the end of the book, I realized that it really was "just that." That I think was the beauty of the author's use of a child narrator. I also want to thank you for sharing your grandmother's experiences. To answer your question, I think I got accustomed to "say goodbye" as I got older. When I was young, ending a relationship (all types of relationship) was unthinkable. However, as I got older, I learned it was necessary and now I feel like it is something natural.

    - Daniel Choi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your words describing the story! Thank you for sharing your grandmothers stories too, it reminded me of my Opa. He was young in the middle of war in the Netherlands, and was shipped away to Canada. To answer your question, I do believe you can grow accustomed to 'unfamiliar' things. For example, with my Opa, he slowly grew into the Canadian custom, with no help. From all his stories, it was clear that was something that seemed unfathomable to him when he was home in the Netherlands as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi KD!

    Your perspective of feeling as though you were reading through a young girl’s diary hits the nail on the head — that’s exactly what it feels like. I almost felt as though it was an invasion of privacy to read such unfiltered, raw thoughts.

    I also felt some relief to read that some light was returned to her Mama’s eyes. The resiliency portrayed in the ability to move forward is inspiring.

    Thank you for sharing with us a part of your Grandmother’s journey with us. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to read this story if you found parallels between the two worlds.

    To your question, I think almost everyone has moments in adulthood where they come to realize either through therapy, conversations with others, or just deep introspection that their normal wasn’t very normal at all.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hey KD, I enjoyed reading your post. I totally agree. The style the novel was written in felt like reading a diary, it definitely made it easier to see things from her point of view. I also found that by adopting the viewpoint of a child, we got to experience and learn everything alongside the narrator. I don’t they could make they reader feel as close in the experience had it been from the POV of an adult.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts