Week 5: Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges

After reading the first few pages of the book, I must admit that I felt unsure of the path the story was taking. Perhaps I was extra tired while beginning the book but I had trouble following the relevance of the man in the mirror, and the passage that was being discussed and so on. This left me feeling a bit concerned as to whether I would be able to properly absorb the rest of his writing. 

"The Circular Ruins" is a story that caught my attention within the collection. The direct imagery, even if it does embody a fantasy like theme, contributed to my ability to follow this story. The sense of duty that the man had at the start of the story, his "invincible purpose", was an interesting foundation to create the supernatural will of dreaming up a man. I am however unclear as whether his student(s) exist in 'reality' (during his few waking hours)? Or are they present only when he is asleep and that is why he is obligated to do so? Was his sole remaining student a product of his insomnia or was that part of his recollections real? If the man's hallucinations were so vivid, how was he suddenly able to distinguish what precisely was a hallucination or his actual experience? "Gradually, he accustomed the boy to reality"... is this a confirmation that the boy himself if the man of his creation and is a product of hallucinations "becoming" reality? This story perfectly blurs distinctions, playing a game with the reader's understanding of the story. The different stages the man goes through with his insomnia and creating a man eventually take on a pattern of repetition in itself.

After reading our portions of Labyrinth's I am left with more questions than ideas, the complexities embedded within Borges' storytelling are simultaneously perplexing and fascinating. It really does feel like taking part in a literary game while reading his work. 

-
After watching the lecture video, I understand more the playful narratives that Borges typically explores in his writing and that going in for a second read can make a big difference in the reader's perception. 
My question for discussion - As a reader, do you return to a work if you feel you did not fully grasp the message/theme/plot? Or accept your perception for what it is? I personally will only return to something for two reasons that are on opposite ends of a spectrum. If I feel that I have zero understanding, or in contrast, I have a strong sense of my perception, are the two instances when I am likely to return to a work more than once.

Comments

  1. Borges' stories usually leave us with more questions than answers. I can verify it after rereading them after many years of not doing so. To access them, the first thing is the initial reaction of letting ourselves enter that peculiar, rarefied environment. But that relationship with the text has already begun if we do it. I'm glad the video of Dr. Beasley-Murray's lecture helped you, we can discuss any questions you have tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blogpost! I really enjoyed reading the questions that came to your mind while reading "The Circular Ruins". It definitely felt like a 'game'/ 'play' to me as well. To answer your question, I rarely go back to any work even if I don't fully comprehend it. I have tried going back to a difficult work in the past, but it often left me even more confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi KD!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post! Your interpretation of "Circular Ruins", helped me understand it better and view it in a different light. To answer your question I have returned to previous work I read in the past to understand it better. However, with this book I just can't. It frustrated me so so much and I have such strong feelings of resentment to the author, that I just can't see myself returning to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi KD!

    I also felt a bit concerned after reading the first few pages! I didn’t know whether to push through or restart and try to grasp it again.

    I also find your analysis of “The Circular Ruins” is very intriguing and insightful! I liked that you were able to tie back in the overall theme of play, something I did not pick up on.

    In terms of your discussion question. I find myself rereading books I love (although I normally don’t find them as enjoyable the next few times around, unless I’m able to make some really meaningful connections I couldn’t have made before completion. In terms of books I dislike, I live by the words of Borges himself: “if a book bores you, leave it”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi KD,
    I enjoyed your blog post. I thought the way you interpreted "The Circular Ruins" was insightful and helped me better understand the work. Your questions were thoughtful and I think explore the work in the way that Borges may have wished. In regards to your question, I tend to gravitate towards pieces of work that push me to think about topics I wouldn't normally. I wouldn't necessarily say books that confuse me, but more in the way that they take a concept I'm familiar with and engage with it in a meaningful way, expanding my understanding of it. Maybe they even change the way I view the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the questions you've prompted about "The Circular Ruins." This story stood out to me the most as well, and I also felt left with more questions than answers. I find it kind of frustrating to read a text that feels so *inaccessible* at times, like Borges' does; but like you point out so well, I truly feel it's all part of his "game." The maze is the destination!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts