week 9: The Hour of the Star

 I actually quite enjoyed the reading this week, it was nicely paced and a swift read. I know that this book is an overall question in itself that in the end is still left unanswered, but I felt as though I was ready to keep reading more of this story by the time I reached the end. Also I found the writing style to be quite direct with the reader which I appreciated. Even though at times I did find myself getting momentarily lost in the descriptive details or abstract pathways that the course of events follow, the book was still an incredibly fluid read. The vivid imagery that begins right away in the novel really drew me in, and even with the twists and turns the story took, the consistent visual storytelling was an element in particular that was seemingly translated quite nicely. For a lack of a better way to phrase it, some parts of the narrator's storytelling felt a bit "sticky" to read. This feeling mainly applies to the image of women (in particular the northeastern girl) that I felt the narrator was conveying. Right away the idea that "those who wonder are incomplete", especially in regards to the northeastern girl, start to escalate his image of her as less than a whole person. Going as far as to compare her to a stray dog really completes the reductive perception the narrator holds toward the northeastern girl, and that he would have to be brought down to her level because she was below him. Even though the character traits of the narrator are not qualities I enjoy, and despite his blatant disregard for the well being of the girl / his character and the indifference he displayed toward her fate, the blunt tone and nature of the narrator was compelling even at the very end of the story. I also appreciate the story arc that the northeastern girl went through, even if it seemingly ended in her sudden demise. Regardless of her redemption being so short lived, "for the first time she was going to have a destiny", and move away from her past life that is starting to see more clearly for what it was. 


The image of women held by the narrator left me with an embodied response of that sticky feeling that I mentioned in my blog post, I wonder if anyone else had any particular or surprising reaction to any parts of the novel?

Comments

  1. Reading Lispector has unexpected effects. Among others, it reveals to us what kind of readers we are. There are those who enter this world without problems, and others who find it a little more difficult, and the encounter is slower, at a different pace. Like Rulfo, the dry style is filled with poetic reminiscence, in a very particular way. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed this novel, despite --or perhaps, especially-- because it leaves many open questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the narrator's unlikable qualities and indifference towards the girl's fate, I agree that the blunt tone and nature of his narration was compelling. It was interesting to see the story arc of the northeastern girl and her newfound sense of purpose and destiny, even if it was short-lived. It speaks to the resilience and strength of marginalized individuals and adds a layer of complexity to the novel's themes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts