week 12: My Tender Matador

The question of "truth" from the lecture video brings my mind back to our in-class discussion regarding I, Rigoberta Menchu and the varied perspectives toward truth throughout that book. The difference with My Tender Matador is that the question of truth is embedded within the story itself. This contrasts I, Rigoberta Menchu - the question of truth in that case revolves more so around the historical accuracy. When thinking of "truth" in My Tender Matador specifically, I feel as though the conflict and uncertainty that persisted at the time does justify a certain level of deception (where deemed necessary?). Whether it be for self preservation or for a greater cause, doing what seems right in the moment will always seem like the suitable guide. 

I think in one way or another throughout the book and by the end, Carlos and La Loca do live their truths, even if that does entail some level of deception while doing so. However this thought does contradict the fact that the characters are constantly playing a part or more at once. Most of all, we never even find out the real names of our two main characters, which could be seen as symbolic towards all of the appearances and disguises consistently used to shift or present a certain reality. To navigate through reality, this is where the truth becomes a fluid concept and what it represents will shift depending on the present circumstance. This to me is how the novel manages to essentially obscure the concept of truth, creating doubt for both the readers and the characters regarding what they know as reality.

My question for discussion is rather a request for opinions, what would you have done if you were the Queen of the Corner and had the option to find out the true name of Carlos - find out or leave it a mystery?



Comments

  1. Personally, I don't think I would have searched for Carlos's real name... or La Loca's. What you wrote about deception has caught my attention. Going back to Menchú, keeping secrets can be a strategic survival position. In any case, between Carlos and La Loca a particular pact is established, a paradoxical way of showing themselves vulnerable by hiding their "civil name". The two of them, together, are others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked what you said about deception and truth. I would've never connected this book to Menchu's but both do have elements of truth and playing a role. In regards to your question, I wouldn't have tried to figure out either's real name. Finding out their real names wouldn't have changed anything about their relationship. La Loca already knew on some level that Carlos was involved in rebellion against the dictatorship. And she liked the name Carlos. It never was important to figure out the truth about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you bring up truth as a fluid concept, I think it fits really well into the use of deceit and dishonesty in the book. To answer your question, I wouldn't mind either way, since I think La Loca understands that names are just titles, and don't carry as much meaning or significance than actually knowing and forming a relationship with a person. Whether I know his real name or just know him as Carlos, the person that I formed a relationship with is still the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your analysis of the concept of truth in My Tender Matador, and how it differs from I, Rigoberta Menchu. It's interesting to consider the justifiability of deception in certain circumstances, and how it can be necessary for self-preservation or a greater cause.

    Regarding your question, if I were the Queen of the Corner, I would be inclined to leave the true name of Carlos a mystery. I believe that the ambiguity surrounding his identity adds to the complexity of the story and the exploration of the fluidity of truth. Additionally, it seems that both Carlos and La Loca have chosen to live under their chosen identities, and revealing their true names would potentially disrupt their sense of self and the realities they have constructed for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think truth is a powerful thing in literature, and utilizing it as a central theme is telling of the importance of it throughout the book. Especially when it comes to knowing their real names--which as you mention, we never find out. I agree that it could be suggested its symbolic of the play of disguise or identity throughout this story, and perhaps even the fluidity of identity as well? To answer your question, I don't think I would want to know the real name, especially considering Carlos was not willing to share it in the first place. Out of respect for that, I would prefer to keep it as such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your question about whether to find out the true name of Carlos if you were the Queen of the Corner is intriguing. On one hand, knowing the truth could provide closure and clarity. On the other hand, leaving it as a mystery could add to the enigmatic nature of the story and allow for interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi KD! I really enjoyed your blog post. I especially liked what you had to say about truth. I think being in line with that, I would have opted to keep carlos’ identity a mystery. His true identity is irrelevant to the love story between them and the parts that they play… I think that it is the characters they choose to be that drive the relationship/narrative forward. Revealing their true identity is in a way a breach of the rules.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts